Safety Tips

  • 1
    Apply common sense. Use non-metal leashes and collars on pets and take particular care in the winter when water and salt increase conductivity.  
  • 2
    Avoid possible dangers. Public places including streets and parks can harbor dangerous shocks. Most incidents involve human or pet contact with metal objects – avoid contact with manhole covers and grates, metal poles, fences or fire hydrants.   Educate children and steer pets away from these objects.  
  • 3
    Know the dangers. Stray or contact voltage occurs when electric wires become corroded and electrify publicly accessible structures and surfaces. These surfaces are then extremely dangerous—even deadly—if people or pets contact them.
  • 4
    Understand the danger and learn the symptoms of contact voltage. If your pet exhibits signs of electrical shock, do not touch him directly or you could be electrocuted.  Use a non-conductive means (wooden pole, nylon leash) to remove him from the point of danger.
  • 5
    Be a proactive citizen. Report any and all incidents of shock to your local authorities including the police, city hall and your power company.  If you are aware of particular issues in your city or town, be vocal and organize; insist that testing be done on city streets and in parks where children play. Most importantly, if you have been shocked or witness a shock, immediately call 911.