LAKE OF THE OZARKS, Mo. – A girl and her brother from Ashland, Mo., were electrocuted at the Lake of the Ozarks early Wednesday afternoon.
The Missouri State Highway Patrol identified them as 13-year-old Alexandra Anderson and her 8-year-old brother Brayden
According to the Patrol, the siblings were shocked while swimming near a private dock at the 6.5 mile marker in the Gravois Arm around 12:05 p.m.
After it was apparent the children were injured, several adults were able to get them out of the water and started performing CPR before emergency crews arrived. The siblings were then taken to Lake Regional Hospital in Osage Beach, where they were pronounced dead.
On Wednesday night, Sgt . Paul Reinsch with the Highway Patrol said they discovered the dock was not “ground fault detected,” which means that the electricity from devices on the dock was able to travel into the water.
“The children screamed when the initial shock hit and when the adults dove in (to attempt rescue) they could feel the electricity in the water,” Reinsch said. Then the adults turned off the electricity to the dock” before pulling the siblings out of the water and attempting CPR, Reinsch said.
He said the electricity that ultimately killed the children came from either a boat lift on the dock or a pump used to power their water slide.
The Missouri State Highway Patrol Marine Operations Division and the Division of Drug and Crime Control were investigating, and autopsies were planned, authorities said.