Category Archives: News

Girl Dies From Electric Shock While Playing Mini Golf In Orlando

Orlando, Fl (The Journal) – Authorities say an 11-year-old New York girl was electrocuted while trying to retrieve a ball from a pond at a time-share resort’s miniature golf course near Orlando.

Orange County deputies say Ashton Jojo cried out in pain Wednesday afternoon as she stepped into the 2-foot-deep pond. Orange Lake Resort guest Christopher Burges of Alabama heard her screams and tried to rescue her. He was also injured.

The girl died shortly after arriving at Florida Hospital Celebration.

The Orlando Sentinel reported that a medical examiner confirmed electrocution as the cause of death Thursday. Inspectors said it appears that electrical breakers for the pond’s pump were improperly replaced.

Horse Electrocuted by Contact Voltage in Moscow, Rider Hospitalized

Girl survives but her horse dies of electrocution

Moscow, June 18 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A Russian schoolgirl was injured but the horse she was riding died after both of them suffered an electric shock.

According to Komsomolskaya Pravda tabloid, the horse that the girl was riding stepped on a buried electrical cable in Moscow.

The incident occurred Saturday evening when 15-year-old Maria Vorontsova decided to go horse riding with a friend in Moscow.

The girls hired horses at a private stable. They were riding around the streets of a residential district when they decided to bypass a pool and the horses stepped onto a grass lawn.

“The ground was wet and my horse stumbled, then the animal stepped over something, and started shaking. It fell down and I was unable to get out from under it,” Vorontsova said.

The girl received an electric shock. She was taken to hospital with heart rhythm disorder. “The electric shock also provoked an epileptic seizure,” a doctor said.
IANS/RIA Novosti

 

RI Tells Utilities to Fix Cause of Dog’s Death

PROVIDENCE, R.I.—Rhode Island lawmakers have voted to require the state’s main electric utility to check for so-called “stray voltage” following the death of a dog that stepped on an electrified manhole cover in Providence.

The House and Senate have both signed off on legislation directing National Grid to check its systems for spots in which voltage from frayed power lines electrifies metal objects like street lamps or manhole covers.

Supporters of the legislation say utilities must quickly repair these areas of stray voltage to protect residents and pets. The bill was prompted by the accidental electrocution of an 8-month-old Labrador retriever in Providence last year.

The legislation now moves to Gov. Lincoln Chafee (CHAY’-fee), who is expected to sign the measure into law.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/rhode_island/articles/2012/05/30/ri_tells_utilities_to_fix_cause_of_dogs_death/

Stray Voltage Bill Passes RI Senate

PROVIDENCE, RI (NBC10) – The Rhode Island Senate on Tuesday unanimously passed legislation that would require electric companies to routinely test for stray voltage and quickly make repairs.

The proposal was prompted by an NBC 10 I-Team investigation that uncovered stray voltage in dozens of locations around Providence.

The problem is caused by damaged underground lines that electrify light poles and manhole covers.

A couple of years ago, a woman was walking her dog on Wayland Square in Providence during the winter when they passed over a metal grate. The dog was shocked by stray voltage.

The Labrador later died at a nearby veterinarian’s office.

The cause was later determined that the dog was electrocuted by a frayed underground wire.

Legislation introduced by state Sen. Rhoda Perry directs the state’s public utility commission to watch over electric companies like National Grid, and requiring them to test for stray voltage and make timely repairs.

“It was appalling. It was extraordinarily frightening for many of my constituents,” Perry said.

Julia Bush walks her dog everyday on the same sidewalk where the stray voltage was a problem.

“I walk her by there every day and I’ve been lucky so far, but I think it would be great for the utility companies to make sure all the streets are safe for the dogs,” Bush said.